[Skip to the end]
Total unemployed, plus all marginally attached workers, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force:
This measure rose from 12.6% to 13.5% in December. It was 8.7% in December 2007.
As for NFP/UE:
- -524k; net revisions -154k
- Unemployment rate rises from 6.8% to 7.2%
- Hours fall another 1.1% (negative for production and a precursor to more layoffs)
- Average duration of unemployment up from 18.9 weeks to 19.7
- Diffusion index down from 27.2 to 25.4
- Manufacturing (-149k), construction (-101k), temp help (-81k) and retail (-67k) lead the way lower.